Thursday, October 31, 2013

Welcome to Ha-er-bin

I just realized that I’ve already lived in Harbin for over two months and I never actually explained on my blog where I live or what I’m doing. So here’s a little intro!
Welcome to Harbin, my cold, mid-size Chinese village home. And by mid-size Chinese village I meet 10 million people. Harbin is known for two things: a really cool Ice Festival and a Siberian Tiger park. So if you want to be scared and cold at the same time, I got you covered.
Harbin is also known for its large Russian influence, which I will explain in GREAT Fulbright-esq detail once I post my first ever research video at the end of the semester! Woohoo! Another reason Harbin wins is because it has very standard sounding Chinese. This is a BIG deal. China has many different types of Chinese, and foreigners basically can’t understand any of them. That’s why CET, our language program, decided to establish one of its intensive language programs here. Intensive is an understatement. Not only are our classes really small (one-on-one, one-on-two, etc.), but we aren’t allowed to speak any English. EVER. Or you are sent home. 马上.The funny thing is, since we have to talk to each other in Chinese and our Chinese is really bad, we can speak to each other and Chinese people won’t understand what we are saying. Ha. Secret Chinese-with-an-American-accent language. Win.
Other than our full time jobs of trying to not die while memorized close to one hundred characters a week, we spend a lot of time eating. You can easily eat here for a dollar a meal, and it’s great for practicing saying things like “that one please”, and “is that dog or actual meat”? That’s how we justify eating way more than would be considered healthy even by American standards.
Although China is generally cheap and awesome, let me dispel one myth right now. Chinese clothing is NOT cheap. It’s expensive and also the fashion is really…interesting. Lots of unnecessary bows. So if you are coming to China, buy all the clothes you need before you come but leave you ramen at home. China wins at Ramen. Sorry Cup Noodle.

Although the recent international news coverage of Harbin’s air pollution problems may discourage many of you from coming to visit me, the Chinese government promised us it will only last about a month. And since the government said it, it’s definitely true. So by the time the Ice Festival rolls around you can all come visit me and we can go feed a couple goats to some tigers and play on life size ice statues of the Great Wall.  ?

No comments:

Post a Comment