Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Bali: Bread Pit (Brad Pitt) in Tropical Paradise

I was really dreading going to Bali. First of all we arriving in the middle of the night and staying near a prison (is that safer because everyone’s locked up? Or more dangerous because it’s probably in a bad neighborhood?  I couldn’t decide), and secondly because Bali has a reputation for being one big, beautiful tourist trap.  And tourist traps are the worst thing ever when you are trying to have an authentic cultural experience. But within five minutes on the island I realized how wrong I was. Bali is a tropical paradise that’s affordable. I still can’t believe that on our meager student budgets Marco and I were able to go to a place like this. I guess I just associate beautiful beaches and turquoise waters with rich spoiled people. The Balinese people are friendly and easygoing and somehow the magic of Bali even put all the tourists in a great mood. And as if playing in the crazy huge waves and taking long walks on the beach at sunset wasn’t enough, I learned to ride a motorbike! I did drive into a ditch and almost kill myself, but other than that is was completely awesome. Marco was rightfully scared for his life every time we rode (I think my awful gear shifting probably didn’t help), but hey, YOLO!!! Did I really just write that?!?! Haha. America withdrawal.

We also met the most amazing person in Bali. Our host, Peter James moved to Bali from Java to work for Blackberry. Not only does he get paid to play games and has like three free phones, but he told us unbelievable stories about how he got where he is today. Peter ran away from his orphanage at age 7 and grew up on the streets homeless and without a family. He didn’t ever give up on himself and started baking and selling bread after he found a book on bread making. But he didn’t stop there. He taught himself to sing and supported himself by working as a street musician. His passion for music helped him learn English, just by listening and repeating the lyrics. In Jakarta, Peter opened his own bakery and spent all of his free time as a volunteer teacher for refugees.


Now, some years later, he hosts travelers through couchsurfing and is saving up to hitchhike to Germany. He’s planning on opening a bakery called Bread Pit (he has a great sense of humor) where the second floor is free lodging for backpackers and the first floor is a bakery where the backpackers can volunteer. Although the beaches and scenery in Bali were memorizing, Peter is the true gem of Bali. He is the most generous person I have ever met and shares absolutely everything he owns: his room, his motorbike, his love for Bali, his stories and his huge heart.

Relaxing day at the beach

Marco playing in the waves


No comments:

Post a Comment