Friday, August 23, 2013

Changi International Airport Wonderland


A seven-hour layover from 11 pm to 6 am? Worst thing ever? Wrong. Welcome to Changi International Airport Wonderland in Singapore. I have never had more fun pulling an all nighter. I’m not sure where exactly where Singapore got all the money for this airport, but I’m pretty sure if they sold entrance tickets, people would buy them. I know I definitely would. Let me tell you why. First of all, Changi has eight gardens: Butterfly Garden, Fern Garden, Orchid Garden, Garden, Cactus Garden, Piazza Garden, Sculpture Tree Garden and Lily Pad Garden.



This made my inner hippie extremely happy, and any airport that needs a separate map for it’s gardens get like a million green stars in my book. And in case you are a bit sore from traveling on trains and sleeping on ferries for three weeks, there are free foot massages in every single hallway. You couldn’t avoid them even if you had severe foot massage phobia.

The shopping felt like you were in NYC, but I didn’t care about that at all, especially since I have three flights coming up where I was trying to not only check a bag at least 5 kg overweight, but also board with three carry-ons (Thanks Malin! Your method of stuffing several bags in a trash bag and counting it as one carry on really worked! Although I did get some funny looks from fancy Singaporean ladies). Anyways, after a dinner where we literally had our choice of at least twenty types of cuisine, a lovely stroll in the sunflower garden and several foot massages, Marco and I headed to the movie theater for a free movie. Because of course airports have free movie theaters. Come on DTW, get it together! I’m not even sure how it’s possible to not have enough time on a 7 hour layover, but Marco and I were having so much fun we almost missed our flight. And we didn’t even get to try out the video game station (not that I would ever do this), send free e-postcards or go for a dip in the pool. #firstworldproblems

No comments:

Post a Comment